September 13, 2008

Pork Adobo, flavor of the Philippines

I notice from my feed stats a lot of people come here looking for recipes. I see most of them looking for martabak manis, perkedel jagung & tahu isi, prol tapai singkong. I guess I will have to make a food blog in the future. Cooking has been my passion right since my teen days. My late mother taught me the basics of cooking and baking. She fed eight children, and I think it took a lot of effort to satisfy everyone's palate.

Anyway I made Pork Adobo this morning and they turned out perfectly - very tender and juicy. Adobo is a very popular dish in the Philippines, indeed it is considered a national dish. It is easy to make and requires just a handful of ingredients ... garlic, vinegar, bay leaves, peppercorn, soy sauce (I use kecap asin and kecap manis), and I also added mushrooms and star anise to give more flavor to the pork. The other variation of adobo that I have not tried is frying them to crispy. I might do it if I can find a good pork belly next time. This dish is served with steamed rice.

6 comments:

tere616.blogspot.com said...

Oh no, I can't eat pork at home and sadly, I can't cook it at home. The reason is because my husband is a moslem.

It's look delicious, hm yummy .:-)

Do you have an idea, where can I get that ? LOL, am starving El ..

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy!! Haven't eaten pork for a while now... :(

Anonymous said...

great job elyani! my husband's favorite. sometimes i mix chicken and pork together and add ground liver to thicken the sauce...so good! am sure ur hubby would love this dish.

Elyani said...

@Lalita: ini bikin sendiri, kalau beli gak tau dimana. Kalau mau, kapan2 aku masakin deh, tapi janjian dulu ya :)

@Therry: I rarely eat red meat too. I cooked this adobo for my brother.

@I do not fancy ground liver, I just don't like the taste of it.

tere616.blogspot.com said...

elyani : I will, I will. Kapan ya bisa ketemu trus nyicipin masakannya Elyani. Hihihihi, buah apel di taman Firdaus

Anonymous said...

your adobo looks yummy! I add sugar on my adobo..sometimes I mix pork and chicken :)

I can't remember the last time I cooked adobo.