October 4, 2007

Pisang Goreng

Pisang Goreng (fried banana) is one of my favorite snack. It is a great snack between meals or for breakfast. A cup of hot tea and a few pisang goreng especially during the rainy season is a real treat!! I used to get them from the pisang goreng vendor, fresh and hot!! Way back then, I enjoyed watching the middle-aged lady near my house with her large wok deep-frying the banana which is dipped in heavy batter. The batter is a combination of an equal parts of all purpose flour, rice flour, water, and a touch of salt. Mix them together, but only just, add the bananas, fry, and eat! They are moist, soft and sweet inside and the batter is crispy outside. It is very easy to make and it tastes like a slice of my childhood.



*top picture is image from Eka's Blog

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elyani, when bananas was in abundance in the province, my aunt loved to make this. we used 100% rice flour, and a little of sugar for batter. and then she would ask me to sell it for her. it was usually gone in no time.

when i went home last time, i bought 50 of these and served it to my guests for the open house. it seemed cheaper to buy, plus it's less hassles than to start it from scratch.

Anna Rochanti Madden said...

hmm yummy...I miss it a lot!

Elyani said...

Belle : Same here, it's cheaper to buy than to make them at home. Buying snack from street vendor is a way of life here. People come for the range of foods the vendors offer and they can't get enough of it because it is
is cheap, widely available and tasty.

Anna : aduh kalau bisa kirim pisang goreng online pasti aku kirimin sekuali lho An ... hehehe:)