August 5, 2007

Sew what?


courtesy of Stella Duce website

When I was in high school, my teacher, Miss Siti Kireni, was very adamant about all of us, girls (I attended convent school girl) ought to learn to sew because you never know when the skill may be needed. But I was never interested in it. I know how to replace buttons when they fall off, but that is about it. I always had a hard time with patterns, I didn't understand the basics, I just had no clue how to go about it ... :hityou! I think I just I don't have the patience for trying to figure out the instructions. However, although and it is contradictory I can cross-stitch and enjoy doing that.

male seamstress in Rawamangun market

Nowadays in Indonesia people don't make their own clothes. They usually buy them in a shop. One reason is that it is cheaper, however, more often than not, you might have to alter them to fit you perfectly. And that can be quite a hassle. Whenever I buy a pair of jeans, I always need to cut it into size because they are always longer than my legs! Fortunately, there are lots of competent tailors in every corner of Jakarta. They are master of clothing alterations and the cost is fairly cheap too. Today I altered a sleepwear, 1 jeans, 1 pant, 1 skirt and 1 shirt ... and total up I only pay about USD 5 !!! I call that a great bargain :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't and don't know if I will learn how to sew. When we were in grade school we had this project to sew pajamas. I did not finish mine. I cheated, Mama finished it for me hehehe!

NursyE said...

I am a sewer wannabe. I can sew simple things.I own a nice beautiful Bernina sewing machine. Just needs to find time to sit down and sew a few projects that I have started.

I remember in 1982 when I left the Philippines. My suitcases including the wedding gown in it, were full of tailor made and dressmaker made clothings.And you are right, nowadays, everything is RTW (ready to wear) stuff. Nothing fit quite right!!!

Anonymous said...

i knew how to sew but since i haven't done it in years, i forgot how to thread or run the machine. i don't even know to put the bobbin in. i bought a fabric and a pattern last month so i can sew a blouse but after looking at the pattern, i didn't think i could do it. actually, i need someone to reorient me in sewing and then maybe, i can sew again.